credit card ****ery! can they do this?
i have a checking account, with bank of america.
a savings account, with bank of america.
and a credit card with visa (underwritten by bank of america).
this morning i went to withdraw cash and was shocked to find out my checking balance was down to 47$.
out of nowhere, a payment was made and authorized (or auto-paid) from MY checking to my credit card, paying off the whole balance of the card ($1,504.36).
i am not bat**** crazy, and would not empty my checking on a whim to pay off my entire credit card for no reason.
i have never had auto-payments set up. logically, the credit card and checking should never really talk to each other.
in nearly 2 hours of super-fun phone tag with BofA and Visa, i've learned the following:
- my bill was 28 days overdue
- because my bill was overdue, they were authorized to take funds from my checking to pay the credit card (to prevent me from getting my credit dinged, it seems. they're phrasing this as if it's a courtesy they provided me, and i should be thanking them for this, not criticizing it).
- instead of paying the paltry minimum payment, they/a computer (it's to clear which) paid off the WHOLE ****ING CREDIT CARD BALANCE, FROM MY CHECKING.
- BofA/Visa will not refund the payment. it's done. they're sorry i wasn't better informed.
- they cannot (at the time) produce any paperwork or contract they can send or link me to, explaining these terms explicitly. but they assure me, it's in there. and will work on sending over the most recent terms of my card.
WHAT THE ****!?
do i seriously have no recourse here?
am i crazy, for thinking this is crazy!?
i am so vain. and yet, so masochistic. how can the two coexist?