I am going to secret garden party soon and have decided I'd like to be a strawberry. OR, if one of you has a good idea, any kind of plant. I guess I could be a flower fairy, but fairies are a stupid festival cliche, no matter how nice the costumes are, that I'd rather avoid. I had wondered about buying a cheap dress and sewing fake plastic flowers all over it?
Anyway, the main idea at the moment is strawberry, and I'm not sure where to start with my costume. I have no experience with sewing clothes from scratch but am good at customising, altering and making accessories.
My plan so far is to make leaves out of hard felt and wire, and put these onto a hairband at a jaunty angle, like this:
I also want a little collar, which I think I'll make out of either
1) a big circle, with spikes cut in it, then velcro on the ends
2) individual leaves sewn together. I think this might work better, but it's more effort.
For the main body of the costume, I want a red dress and am going to sew cutout seeds all over it. However, I'm not sure how to make the dress. Ideas:
1) red vest top with seeds on, red/white/pink net skirt that I'd also have to make.
2) buy a red dress and sew seeds on, make bottom ragged. but it's unlikely I'd be able to find one plain enough. if i tried to make one i'd be in way out of my depth and it'd look ****, probably.
3) a dress like this made out of net with another plain dress underneath. red, obv.
To be more like a strawberry it'd have to be bigger at the top, but I'm vain enough not to want my shoulders to look huge, so I might pass on that level of realism in my costume.
Any hints/tips on how you'd make this? I'm mainly stuck on the body, I don't really know where to start. Mods, I guess you could move this to arts and crafts, I wasn't really sure what to do with it.
If possible use lots of MSPaint pictures in your replies!